Thursday, December 19, 2013

Prodigal Daughter Returns

The first time I left California, I drove away with tears in my eyes and I promised myself that I would never move back. While driving through Oregon and Idaho (with more tears in my eyes) heading home for the first time in 10 years, I promised myself that I would only stay in Utah for 6 months.

Whelp. Neither of those promises lasted very long. Because after 6 years of living in Utah, you are reading the blog of the newest resident to San Rafael, California.

In the past, the decisions to move were under slightly different circumstances. This time, I left Utah with a boat load of supporters and well-wishers in my pocket. And I had even more here in California to welcome me. The whole experience has been somewhat surreal. I mean, I live here now. I have a wonderful fiance here. I have to figure out things like where my spot on the (uncomfortable) couch is going to be and where my new favorite coffee spot/book nook is. My clothes hang in the closet in our bedroom (and in the coat closet and in the bathroom closet). This is not an extended vacation and I don't have plans to leave California any time soon. I say this because after the move I'm drastically broke and the Jetta couldn't make the trip so I'm out a vehicle. I'm not stuck here though. I'm not trapped. This is exactly where I want my life to be and I moved here on my terms and I am happy here.

So this is me, a Californian, checking in with those of you in Utah, letting you know that I am okay. I'm still adjusting to life here in the Bay Area, but I'm alive and doing very well.

No comments:

Post a Comment